Skip to main content
Accounting Debate Issues
- ISSUE: Is a year enough time to ensure auditor independence when an auditor takes a high-level position with a client firm?
Auditor Independence DI
- ISSUE: Are principles more important than rules?
Accounting Principles vs. Rules DI
- ISSUE: When should revenue be recognized in accounting?
Revenue Recognition DI
- ISSUE: Is it ethical for businesses to engage in inversions to lower their tax rates?
Tax Inversion DI
- ISSUE: Does the SEC target highly visible celebrities for publicity?
Mark Cuban DI
- ISSUE: To what degree are CEOs Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling responsible for not preventing ethical misconduct and illegal activities within the organization?
- ISSUE: Should firms use predictive analytics to monitor employee emails for insider risk?
Predictive Analytics DI
- Issue: Should government officials be allowed to pursue outside interests that appear to conflict with their jobs as lawmakers—even if they do not violate any ethical standards?
Lawmaker Conflict DI
- Issue: Should the Personal Care Safety Act exert oversight over the effectiveness of cosmetics products?
- Issue: Is it ethical for banks to track customers' cell phones as a way to prevent credit-card fraud?
Cell Phones and Banking Fraud DI
- Issue: Should workers under the sharing economy model be classified as employees rather than independent contractors?
Sharing Economy Model DI
- Issue: Is it ethical for pharmaceutical firms to charge such high prices for drugs in the United States?
Drug Cost DI
- ISSUE:Do white-collar criminals tend to be corporate psychopaths?
Corporate Psychopathy DI
- ISSUE: Do some claims of plagiarism go too far?
- ISSUE: Should the United States continue to import from Russia during the Ukraine dispute?
- ISSUE: Is Amazon using its power to take over the world?
- ISSUE: Business’ New Freedom and Potential Responsibilities Under Citizens United
Citizens United DI
- ISSUE: Is using native advertising a deceptive practice?
Native Advertising DI
- ISSUE: Should organic farmers have legal protection against Monsanto for inadvertent contamination of their crops?
- ISSUE: Is the shareholder model the best strategy of corporate governance in managing a public company?
Shareholder Model DI
- ISSUE: Should the trade embargo against Cuba be lifted?
- ISSUE: Does the Federal Trade Commission's verdict on POM Wonderful's advertising protect consumers or limit the company's First Amendment rights?
POM Wonderful DI
- ISSUE: As digital firms gain monopoly status in some markets, should regulators intervene to break their monopolies?
Google Breakup DI
- ISSUE: Was the Nationwide Insurance advertisement "The Boy Who Couldn't Grow Up" an authentic attempt to save lives or a shameless attempt to promote the brand?
- ISSUE: Is overcriminalization of businesses harming society?
Criminalizing Business DI
- ISSUE: Should companies reimburse consumers stuck in traffic for missed events?
- ISSUE: Should major pharmacies discontinue selling cigarettes because they are in the healthcare business?
- ISSUE: Should companies get rid of the performance review?
Performance Review DI
- ISSUE: Should marijuana be advertised where it is legally sold?
- ISSUE: Is it ethical for the European Union to harvest wood from the United States to meet its energy goals
EU Harvesting DI
- ISSUE: Are consumers being harmed by antibacterial soap?
Antibacterial Soap DI
- ISSUE: Will Google Glass make it easier for privacy violations and cheating to occur?
Google Glass DI
- ISSUE: Is it fair to offer a reconstruction of an original textbook?
Boundless Learning DI
- ISSUE: Is it ethical for one company to control all aspects of an industry if it is legal?
- ISSUE: Should the use of clearance pricing be regulated?
- ISSUE: Should U.S. companies choose to outsource to Mexico over China?
China vs. Mexico DI
- ISSUE: Are seeds that have been genetically modified a better alternative than pesticides?
- ISSUE: Will more effective laws enforcing copyright infringement on the Internet halt innovation and undermine free speech?
Hollywood vs. Silicon Valley DI
- ISSUE: Should employees be allowed to pursue relationships at work?
Relationships at Work DI
- ISSUE: What are the ethical ramifications of showrooming for the consumer and the retailer?
The Dilemma of Showrooming DI
- ISSUE: Is it fair to allow employees to work from home and then require them to only work in the office?
Working from Home DI
- ISSUE: Is network marketing a reputable business model that offers a chance to earn income or achieve personal goals?
Network Marketing DI
- ISSUE: Is Herbalife operating a pyramid scheme?
- ISSUE: Are green funeral companies meeting the needs of environmentally-conscious consumers, or does the industry need more regulation?
Green Funerals DI
- ISSUE: Does Tattoo Barbie send the right message to girls?
Tattoo Barbie DI
- ISSUE: Despite the fact that nuclear power is a more sustainable energy source than fossil fuels, is it worth the risks it poses to people and the environment?
Nuclear Power DI
- ISSUE: Do the benefits of marijuana legalization outweigh the costs?
Marijuana Legalization DI
- ISSUE: Should Companies Be Allowed to Engage in Gender-Based Pricing?
- ISSUE: Should Footwear Tariffs Be Eliminated Under the Trans-Pacific Partnership?
- ISSUE: Do Buckyballs represent enough of a threat to child safety that they should be banned?
- ISSUE: Is the Occupy Wall Street movement an effective means of inciting corporate reform?
Occupy Wall Street DI
- ISSUE: Should restaurants be required to provide calorie counts on their menus?
Calorie Labeling DI
- ISSUE: Should AshleyMadison.com have fewer business opportunities because the website offers its users opportunities to pursue extramarital affairs?
Ashley Madison DI
- ISSUE: Do the economic benefits gained from the gaming industry outweigh the damage that gambling inflicts on those who are addicted?
- ISSUE: Is using sex appeal in a marketing campaign appropriate for product promotion?
Marketing and Sex Appeal DI
- ISSUE: Has outsourcing production and manufacturing to low-wage countries helped or hurt the United States?
- ISSUE: Will the FCPA and the U.K. Anti-Bribery Law affect a firm's competitiveness?
Bribery Laws DI
- ISSUE: Does national culture predict consumer behavior and organizational culture?
- ISSUE: Was it unethical for prosecutors to use abusive tactics to secure witnesses and convictions in the investigation of Enron's corporate wrongdoing?
Enron Prosecution DI
- ISSUE: Should social networking sites allow outside parties to have access to user information?
Facebook Privacy DI
- ISSUE: Should tobacco companies promote smokeless tobacco products due to declining cigarette sales?
Smokeless Tobacco DI
- ISSUE: Will the Higher Education Opportunity Act truly cut textbook costs for students?
Higher Education Opportunity Act DI
- ISSUE: Is it necessary to create public policy to regulate the marketing of unhealthy food to children?
Childhood Obesity DI
- ISSUE: Is Facebook leading to more positive social movements or to negative social dysfunction?
- ISSUE: Should genetic modification be used to further economic development?
African Rice Center DI
- ISSUE: Are less formal systems and agreements likely to be more successful than formal legal and regulatory systems?
- Issue: Has NAFTA been socially and economically productive for the U.S. and Mexico?
- ISSUE: Is it acceptable for companies to exaggerate environmental claims in order to sell products, or is this practice deceiving consumers?
- ISSUE: Should the World Trade Organization crack down on China for its protectionist policies?